Lecture: “All My Life”
Saturday, October 5, 2019 at 2 PM
Northern Virginia Community College – Annandale Campus
Forum of the Ernst Community Center
8333 Little River Turnpike, Annandale, VA 22003
Free Admission to all QU members! Memberships of $30 will be accepted at the door.
Door Prize Drawings! Earn extra tickets by participating in the fall challenge!
Create a 24 inch square quilt with the theme of “Pumpkin”. Whatever pumpkin means or inspires in you, the quilter. Every member who attends the Fall Event with their pumpkin quilt will receive an extra door prize ticket. A pumpkin quilt show and tell will take place after the lecture presentation.
Dianne Miller is an artist whose medium is quiltmaking. Although nationally recognized for her pictorial quilts, Dianne also creates traditional quilts. Her specialty is Baltimore Album appliqué. Dianne’s interests have expanded into antique quilts and their restoration, and more recently, long-arm machine quilting.
Dianne studied illustration at the Massachusetts College of Art and subsequently worked as a technical illustrator.
In 1985, Dianne took her first quilting class. Soon, she began combining her training in traditional art and graphic design and her long-standing love of the needle arts and textiles with her quilting skills to create a style uniquely her own. Her prize-winning quilts have been displayed in numerous shows, galleries, and museums — both in the U.S. and abroad. They have appeared in books and magazines, and are featured in several private collections, including that of the prestigious International Quilt Festival.
In Massachusetts, Dianne has taught appliqué and quilting classes at Emma’s Quilt Cupboard in Franklin, the Olde Carriage House Quilt Shoppe in Rehoboth, Quilter’s Stash in North Attleboro, All About Quilts in Walpole (formerly Quilts Ltd.), The New England Quilt Museum in Lowell, and the Franklin Mill Store in Franklin. In Rhode Island, she has taught at Knit One Quilt Too in Barrington, and the Cranston Mercantile in Cranston. She currently offers private lessons at her own studio in Plymouth, Massachusetts.
Flower Basket Hand Applique Workshop
Friday, October 4, 2019 10:00 am to 3:00pm
Sully Government Center
4900 Stonecroft Blvd,
Chantilly, VA 20151
Cost: $40 payable to Quilters Unlimited, and $5 pattern fee payable to the instructor at the time of the class.
Each chapter will be allotted a number of places for students based on chapter membership. Chapter presidents will be handling the registration of students from their own chapters.
In this hand-applique class, we will make a 14-inch square floral block of Dianne’s original design. Dianne will provide the pattern. We will use her light box technique, rather than templates. Each student will be required to bring a light box to class. Some embroidery embellishment may be added.
- Light box (mandatory)
- Fabric – background square cut to 16”x16” (to be trimmed later to finished size)
- Fabric – scraps (bring lots) of cottons, florals, batiks, plaids, and stripes
- Thread – assortment of colors to match backgrounds of fabrics selected for applique (Dianne uses either Mettler 60 wt. 100% cotton or YLI 100 wt. silk)
- Embroidery floss (6-strand, variety of colors)
- Embroidery needle (sized to hold 6-strand embroidery floss)
- Sandpaper board
- Freezer paper
- #2 pencil and Sharpie Ultra-Fine (finer than the regular “fine”)
- Scotch tape or painters tape
- Scissors – Dianne uses Gingher 4-inch embroidery scissors for fabric
- Applique pins (Dianne uses ¾-inch sequin pins)
- Applique needles (Dianne uses John James size 10 for cotton thread and size 11 for silk thread
- Rotary cutter, ruler, and cutting mat